Book Brief Guidelines
www.acceleratebooks.com Launch Dates: Beta Testing: June 2, 2018 Official Launch: July 1, 2018
TCB Accelerate is a digital tool that helps Gospel Practitioners accelerate their mission.
Accelerate gives Gospel Practitioners access to “insights in seconds” through book briefs on Christian books so they can quickly integrate these truths into their lives and ministries.
What is a Book Brief?
A book brief is a summary of a book, distilling a book’s main insights and action items.
In other words, if you only had 5 minutes to absorb & apply the truths of a book, a book brief would be all you needed.
How is Accelerate different?
Accelerate is similar to services like Books at a Glance and Blinkist. Our main distinction how we summarize books, and who we summarize them for.
Our target audience we aim to serve are Gospel practitioners. Admittedly, this is a broad category, including ministers, laypeople, seminary students, church planters, homemakers, business people, etc.
So by seeking to serve Gospel practitioners, the books summarized will neither be scholarly in nature1This isn’t to say non-scholarly. But an avoidance of books written by scholars, for scholars., nor written primarily for new believers.
Rather, we will select books written with a view toward practical application.
Some example books we will be summarizing are:
- Expository Exultation by John Piper
- The Liturgy of the Ordinary by Tish Warren
- The Story of Reality by Greg Koulkl
- The Tech-Wise Family by Andy Crouch
- Making Sense of God by Timothy Keller
- The Whole Christ by Sinclair Ferguson
- The Mortification of Sin – John Owen
- Take Heart by Matt Chandler
- 15 Things Seminary Couldn’t Teach Me by Jeff Robinson
- Theistic Evolution
- Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan
- 12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You by Tony Reinke
- You Are What You Love – James K. A. Smith
- Dangerous Calling – Paul Tripp
- The Prayer That Turns the World Upside Down – Al Mohler
- The Holiness of God – R. C. Sproul
While older books will be “accelerated”, the focus will likely be on newer books that readers have likely added to their “future reading” list. Thus, books will be selected on the basis of what will serve the most readers.
The following types of books won’t be summarized:
- Fiction books
- Systematic Theology Books
- Reference Books
One difference between Accelerate and other similar book summary services is our approach. Our primary focus is not on chapter by chapter summaries, but on key takeaway insights. Our reasoning is that while books and chapters will be forgotten, worldview-shaping insights will be remembered. Therefore, we want to emphasis and illustrate the insights/principles.
That said, we will still include a chapter-by-chapter breakdown, but each chapter summarized in 3 sentences of less.
The following is a breakdown of a Book Brief Structure. You can also see an illustrated draft on the right-hand side of this page.
Each book brief features:
- Audio Recording (mp3) version of the book brief
- Main Idea
- Text Summary (300 words)
- Whiteboard Animation (3-5 minutes)
- Key Insights
- 3 – 5 Key Insights (300 words each)
- Infographics for key insights (optional)
- A Chp-by-Chp Summary
- A Tweetable summary (1-3 sentences)
- Key Quote(s)
- Application Question(s)